Saturday 30 August 2014

Avatars Of War Orc WIP 1

It's been a while since I painted a display figure, so the Avatars of War painting competition on the WAMP forum is the perfect opportunity to try out some new methods and ideas. I thought I would document it as I went along,  it's nearly always useful to take notes.

Stage 1: Primers
I usually prime white but wanted to try something new. Warlord Games have recently had some Bolt Action primers at half price and I bought a few, primarily for terrain projects, but I thought I might as well give them a try here. I sprayed from under the figure in a brown shade, from above with a yellow/ochre shade. When it was dry, I brushed on some white primer on the lighter bits and bones.

Stage 2a: Guiding Wash
I added a wash using Vallejo Model Air Burnt Umber. This stage is useful because it shows where all the shade areas are - it effectively adds the lines, guiding where the paints should go. It's also useful because it shows any areas of preparation that are lax - any remaining mould lines or poor joins will show up here, allowing you to remedy them before painting begins.

Stage 2b: Guiding Wash dried
This last photo shows the figure when the wash has fully dried. This beats a completely black/white/grey blob don't you think? I can easily see which areas are in shade and which are lighter. I am hoping that when I come to paint it I will be able to apply thin coats of paint over the top of this, thin enough that the underlying light/shade will come through a little. That's the theory, we will have to see if it works out.

1 comment:

Goldmunds Welt said...

The sculpt is really awesome - that´s how a orc should look like, freakin brutal!
In your hands the painting is surely going to be awesome too :) Can´t wait for the next steps.
So far I like the way you started!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...